Thus saith the Lord, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the OLD PATHS, where is the good way, and walk therein. Jeremiah 6:16a

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Pastor Jeff Fugate On The King James Bible


Why Make Public the Issue of the King James Bible?


By Dr. Jeffrey J. Fugate


I grew up in church and in Fundamentalism. My father was my pastor from the age of 8 until I was 21 years old. (My father died of cancer when he was 40 years old). I know the frustrations and feelings of hearing an attack on a preacher or institution from someone disgruntled. I never liked it and I do not like it now. I do not associate with people who are given to criticism and division. I am not making this issue public because I dislike Dr. Jack Schaap or Hyles-Anderson College. I have been influenced by HAC and Dr. Hyles most of my life. I received an honorary doctorate from HAC in 1995. Dr. Hyles preached in my church 7 different years. I also have supported Dr. Schaap as the pastor of First Baptist Church.

Yet, this is not an issue of a preference. This is the issue of the Bible! God's Holy Preserved Word! So often we look at someone who responds to an issue as the one who caused the problem and forget the source that actually did cause the problem. I did not bring up this issue - Dr. Schaap brought this issue up by his writing and teaching.

I must say that I prefer problems being dealt with head on and not in a round-about way. I did not want to write articles where people would say, "Who is he talking about?" I want to be forthright in the purpose of this special edition.

At Pastor's School in 2008 I received my copy of the book "Where are we going?" and read with somewhat of confusion the chapter about the KJB issue. Dr. Schaap also taught this during the Tuesday morning session of Pastor's School 2008. While it bothered me I worked to dismiss it as an unwise presentation about the hurt of division in fundamental Baptist churches. I dismissed what he said as something that was terribly worded and that would soon be corrected. It did cause some doubt in my mind as to where Dr. Schaap stood on the King James Version. It seemed he was saying that it was nothing more than a good translation but was in fact less than the "originals". I also concluded that he was trying to define the difference in Inspiration and Preservation but with some wonder of what he thought we have lost in preservation.

As I read and listened I wondered who were the "friends" we have lost by taking a stand for the King James Bible. I knew very well where Dr. Hyles had taken his stand on the issue - even calling names of institutions that referred to the originals as inspired but did not believe that we have an every word Bible in the King James Version. Dr. Hyles pointed out plainly that there was a difference in using only the KJB but not believing that it was in fact an every word bible! He separated from those institutions and told us not to be surprised by him being loyal to principles rather than institutions. You can see his quotes in this issue. I certainly did not lose any friends over the issue - though I did find out that there were those who never believed in the promises of God about the preservation and inspiration of the Scriptures.

Here is where the problem escalated and more disturbing things have been revealed since. In November 2008 we had a professor from Hyles Anderson as a guest to give lectures here at Commonwealth Baptist College. I do not want to make him the issue because he is a good man and very wise in his area of expertise (His subject to teach this day had nothing to do with the Bible - It was not a theological lecture at all). I love him and appreciate him for his work.

By the way, we have had folks from Hyles Anderson College and First Baptist Church in our college chapels and classes because I have wanted to maintain a good friendship with them. I want to learn from them. Dr. Wendall Evans is my friend and has been our guest here at CBC and our church more than once. Dr. Jim Jorgensen is our executive Vice president who served Dr. Hyles at HAC for 20+ years. Evangelists from First Baptist Church have been our guests. Dr. Russell Anderson is the co-founder of our college as well.

He and I are dear friends - both of us are from the mountain region of Southeastern Kentucky. Dr. Anderson is a member of our church and has an apartment here in Lexington. He and I preach together here in Kentucky as well as in churches across America. I have six men on staff here in our ministries who are graduates of Hyles-Anderson College.

This professor, in a class of more than 100 students, said, "Don't be foolish enough to let someone tell you that this King James Bible is the inspired Word of God." It was a "by the way" kind of statement and not a part of his lecture. I had introduced him at the beginning of the class but had stepped into a side room where I was doing some work during his lecture. When I came back in I saw the look on the faces of the students and teachers and knew that there was something obviously wrong. I was then told by teachers what he had said. I asked the professor to step into the side room, and I asked him if he said what they told me. He confirmed it, and I and told him I could not believe it! I told him that I, in fact, do believe that God had preserved His word in the King James Bible and believe that it was given in Inspiration and had lost nothing in Preservation! Though he loves me and was kind to me, he stood his ground and began to quote out of Dr. Schaap's book about the KJB being only a good translation. He went further to add that he believed only the originals were inspired and that we had lost 3-5% of the Bible in translation and that God did not speak English!

I then wrote a letter to Dr. Schaap telling him what had happened. I told him that I could no longer speak at Pastor's School and cancelled from speaking in March 2009. Now, I am not trying to bring division in fundamentalism! I love the work of the ministry. I love those who love the work of the ministry. I am just taking a stand against those that would cause young men, pastors and churches to doubt the fact that we have a copy of the Inspired preserved word of God. Until Dr. Schaap makes plain the fact that he believes that the King James Bible is the Inspired Preserved Word of God and stops sowing doubts about it I will not speak at Pastor's School or in any ministry of First Baptist Church. I will not send my preacher boys nor recommend any others to HAC. The Church Bus News will no longer give bus scholarships to HAC.

There are those of us who have waited and waited saying, "He will come around. He will get it right". It is time to get it right - this issue is the Bible - not a preference!

Brethren, these are the last days. There is a great work to do. We must be busy at the work. Let’s not just defend the Word of God - let's use it to win souls, preach and teach and strengthen families and marriages.


Dr. Jeffery J. Fugate pastorfugate@msn.com

No comments:

Post a Comment